Monday, November 10, 2008

Sourav and the child in me

As I entered through the gates of my school on that breezy autumn morning, I sensed a difference in the air. I couldn't smell it precisely but I could tell that today was different. I inquired and the rumor was out. A celebrity was scheduled to visit us. After hours of anticipation and moments before the lunch break, a banner was raised: "Welcome Sourav". (He wasn't popular as Dada at that time, I guess). Entered Ganguly in his Black Leather Jacket, fine spectacles and a mustache, took up the stage and started talking: "I feel very happy to be here. This reminds me of my school days when I...." and with a large beep sound, the loudspeaker of our school gave up on him. Our School, ST. George's College, Agra had just provided Dada a glimpse of what lay ahead in life for him. Starting that moment, he always had to speak out loud to make his voice heard. It was way back in 1998 and I remember it as clear as yesterday. Sourav-mania was at its peak and I was a child.

Its 2008 and Dada has retired-cum-forced to make way for the future generations. Its hard to resist the temptation to write a tribute to this flamboyant batsmen, brave(est) captain, sloppy fielder and a passionate bowler.

Of all the cricketing moments that I will remember, there is one that has perhaps frozen in every Indian's mind for as long as they live. The day Ganguly decided to enter the world of modeling and let go his T-shirt to expose the hairy chest.
When? The Natwest Trophy final.
Where: The holiest of holy cricket grounds, The Lords.
Why? Ask Dada.

It is indeed an emotional moment for a lot of people. Especially the lot like me which grew up watching them. We won and lost together, shared joy and grief together, caught and dropped every catch together. Let me take a step backwards and try to give you my insight into what exactly happens when a great player retires. When Ganguly retires, the mind is clogged with a lot of questions. We feel sad for the fact that we will never see Dada on field, coming out on a spinner and hitting a clean six over long on. But that's not why we are actually sad.

When a player retires, our mind takes a pause to ponder over some questions we normally don't think about. It is an unconscious signal sent by the brain reminding us that the time flies and that you are growing.Our schedules today are apparently so busy -or so we like to call it - that we find lesser and lesser time for ourselves. It is in that moment when we remind ourselves that a time comes for everyone -even if he is of Ganguly's stature- when he has to pass the baton to the youth. Our youth is now and it is our time to dream but that it will not be forever.

Secondly, it reminds us of our past when we used to be happy simply because we were kids. I used to be a kid too. As I grew up there was a sudden change in the attitude of people towards me. With each passing year my friends and family made me realize, though rather unconsciously, that I was not a child anymore.. I started to realize that what I did was no longer my business alone anymore. My opinions on family matters were sought and I was confronted with expectations. Expectations... All I have done since I have "grown up" is to ensure that I am fulfilling expectations of my parents, relatives and friends.

Childhood is naive and innocent. A recent Stanford study in the Psychology department claims that altruism comes naturally to kids. From the Bible, 1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

It is important to take timeout for oneself and do an introspection is to where is my life going and what have I achieved thus far. When Ganguly retires, our mind puzzles us with such questions and not having answers to them, we feel sad. But then this all lasts a moment or two for after that we get involved in our "busy" daily schedules again. So much in a single moment.

A lot has been written and a lot will be written. Cricket will go on. Players will come and make their mark, some even better than Ganguly. But I doubt if ever anyone will have to prove his mettle so many times. I should honestly admit that I have not been an ardent admirer throughout his career. It seems unreal when I think back that only few years ago we used to have heated discussions with DADA* over how Ganguly was useless and should be kicked away, literally. But then he fought back, he always has.

With this I bid adieu to Sourav. The child in me will always remember him. But then the child will fade away...




P.S.: When Ganduly was leaving from our school, we quickly went to our classrooms and some students from the window started screaming, Sourav gaddha, Sourav gaddha. They were kidding ofcourse but I am sure no one said that yesterday when he retired.

DADA* = Priyank Upadhyaya. A dear friend from undergrad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nicely written tribute to Dada with interesting psychology references to childhood; Time does MARCH on!

Darpan Mahajan said...

Dude , brought out some great memories and i wondered why i admired him so much ...
The Reason " He came to our school" ( Along with so many centuries and wickets and passion etc. " )

Yeah but i dnt remember the loudspeaker bursting :P

Anyways great going !!!