Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Solution: Education and India's tour to Pakistan

I was working my way through the difficult assignment when the cellphone rang. Two expletives dripped from my filthy mouth as I reached out to look at the number and decide to take the call. The number was not displayed and I assumed it was an international call. I picked it up expecting to be greeted by a familiar Indian voice. The caller said "Hi, this is Ajmal (name changed). Thanks for the number". "Hi, ...", I said with a feeling not known to me. "This is the first time I am talking to someone actually sitting in Pakistan." I said, still trying the absorb the weight of my words. "Yeah, same here, but your voice is very familiar."

This was an applicant to Stanford University and sought some answers regarding the admission procedure. The conversation was not very long but at the end of it, I paused for a moment ... came out of my house and sat in the park. A perfect example of over-reacting to a situation.

I bring up this point to fit the missing piece in my blogs thus far. My previous post "The terrorist god" made me realize how unworthy element of this society I am. As many commented, I simply found solace in form of human-god and vent my rage on it. It irked me as a writer but I took the point. I should try to point some solutions. These solutions are pretty idealistic, will never be adopted in this real world but if you ask me, this is what I have to offer.

Education. This is my solution. As much as the media believes in it, war on Pakistan is not the solution. It never was, it never will be. If we go to war at this moment, we would have given terrorists exactly what they want... A cause to hate Indians.

We should try to glimpse over the total situation. Why does Pakistan, or rather some rogue elements from Pakistan are so desperate to sail across the Indian Ocean and kill innocent people. to spray bullets on people with whom they never even shared a conversation. People who have life stories very akin to their own, of poor parents and a to be married sister. At this moment, we should look back and ask ourselves how come a nation so close, which shares language, rivers, food and culture with us is so hostile that even the cold winds from mighty Himalayas fail to cool them down.? Or is it really so? Do you really think that if Injamam-ul-Haq scores a double century, I wouldn't clap? or people in Pakistan don't admire Madhuri Dikshit?

My point is that a major portion of Pakistan doesn't hate India. This perception may be wrong as I have never been there and, except for a few occasions, never had a chance to talk to the actual residents. But I can't easily believe it.

Can we fight this war with bullets? The first task before one goes to war is to identify the enemy. Who are we fighting against? Is it the Pakistan army? And if we go to war, will we not reap seeds of hate one more time, will we not give winds to the dowsing flames of anger?

Isn't Pakistan our enemy? My answer is: No, I am no enemy of Pakistan, as a nation, for it is not an enemy of mine. Pakistan is not a terrorist nation but rather the most severe victim of it in disguise. Think about this, how uneducated the people have to be so that they can be easily convinced that this world is materialistic and irrelevant, and rather by killing the 'kaafirs', they would serve the 'Allah' and will be rewarded in after-life. If only one could see the difference between wrong and right, for which education is necessary, if not sufficient. The extremists will find it extremely hard to recruit an educated mind, one which can evaluate the consequences of one's actions and smell the reek of personal interests.

We should have programs in school which extend the hand of prosperity, of love to our neighbor. Exchange programs in each school which take students from Indian schools to Pakistan and vice-versa. If as children, we see that people in the other side of border are not demons but humans like us and feel a similar warmth in their society, perhaps the seed of anger will die out with time.

This is precisely why I believe that the Indian team should visit Pakistan. I am not afraid of their security for if I were to randomly choose 11 Indians for a Pakistan trip, the safest would be the cricketing 11. The terrorists will never attack the cricketers since that would cost them the support of the entire society...and would ban any sort of cricketing tournament in Pakistan for a long long time. Security is thus not my concern. The next argument is that by not sending the team, we should covey a strong message to Pakistan. My point is that by continuing the tour, we would have sent an even stronger message. Terrorism can not be bigger than our cause for prosperity and that's the message our team will convey when we play in Islamabad, and Karachi, and Lahore. That we are not your enemies, we never were... and when it comes to terrorism, you are a victim bigger than us. Our children, for the most part, can't and won't be misled to holster AK-47 and carnage people of another nation.

Education is the solution to all. A rational mind can differentiate between interests of his own and of others. We should rather open up NGO's to set up schools in villages of Pakistan like we do in Indian villages.

If there is one solution to terrorism, it is unity through education. The war against terrorism will be hard to fight with bullets. Atleast the history seems to suggest that. The more we ban trade and commerce with Pakistan, the more we isolate ourselves from it, the more we will demonize our neighbor. It is dramatically incomprehensible to believe how big a difference one fictional line, the border, created by the British Empire can inflict between the two nations.


9 comments:

Srikanth said...

Well, Education is a 'Solution' but is it a practical one? NO!! Ideally everyone in Pakistan and India will be educated and we will live happily ever after. This will never happen in your life or mine or our children's.

This whole thing is a vicious circle and where did this start? September 11. Who started this? The US of A as for most thing wrong in this world. What do I believe is their mistake? They look at the world through skewed glasses. They forced Musharraf into a war which no one in Pakistan wants or supports. Pakistan is now effectively a failed state. Their western side is the host of a bloody war with no end and there is growing resentment in the people. A number of innocent people with no connection to the Taliban are being killed in this war. This is going to lead to a civil war soon there. The Pakistani army and the ISI to get back the support of the people are behind this whole thing.

Well actually I am wrong in blaming Uncle Sam. What mistake did he do? He chose to protect his land pro-actively. Thats not a mistake. So where does the fault lie. On the fundamentalist mullahs? Islam is the foundation of Pakistan. As long as fundamentalism remains in Islam this will continue on and on. There is maybe one solution. Nuke out the whole world except the USA. Let them live in peace.

This problem will never end. If ever I am reborn in this world, I will still be born in a world filled with terrorism.

hr_musigma said...

I think you are too sentimental. You analyze a situation by your heart only.I am sorry if it hurts but I cant help it.I also could not figure out what do you mean by "If we have to choose 11 random people then better it be cricketers"..Another thing that I would like to suggest you would be to read a bit more.You facts and points are pretty biased and you have not done much research before posting such thing. I would really appreciate you for letting your frustration vent out through a medium which is very effective for so called geeky intellects. the way you have treated the whole problem led me to believe you are an inexperienced guy and frankly speaking I am worse if it comes about having experience on such topics. Its really great to see people like you thinking on such issues.

Harshit Gupta said...

"Education. This is my solution."

1. You seem to assume as if Pakistan is the only nation in the world with vast proportion of uneducated masses.

2. More than 35% of indian polulation is illiterate (even by the minimal state defined definition of literacy). This is more than twice the entire polulation of Pakistan. By your logic, the indian state should have gone up in flames due to home-grown terrorism long ago.

3. Surely you know that most of Pakistani terrorism against India is sponsored and promoted by its military establishment in general and ISI in particular. These are headed by probably the most educated individuals you can find in pakistan, who are purely motivated due to historical and geo-political considerations.

4. "we should look back and ask ourselves how come a nation so close, which shares language, rivers, food and culture with us is so hostile that even the cold winds from mighty Himalayas fail to cool them down.? "

Valid question. And the only difference that I can find is that Pakistan is an Islamic theocracy. Enough said.

5. The entire edifice of Pakistan rests on rejecting the idea of India. Take this away from Pakistan and it will be in the midst of a great existential crisis.

6. "We should rather open up NGO's to set up schools in villages of Pakistan like we do in Indian villages."
This is laughable. As if there are no more illiterate children left in India!
This is high time world sees through this farce of Pakistan. For decades, it has invested all its domestic resources to international terrorism while the world (read US) has continued to dole out generous financial aid. The latest IMF bailout being a case in point. The next thing we would hear is that even Nepal starting to bomb indian cities in the hope of outsourcing its education obligation to India.


It is good that you have started to give this issue a thought. However, I would agree with hr_musingma that you need to read a lot lot more and give a lot more thought to the whole situation. It is a highly complicated issue with lots of nuances involved and your analysis seems naive. I don't claim to know anymore on this issuethan you do but then I don't claim to profess "Education is the solution to all" either.

Nom de plume said...

Well, all the terrorists involved in the Mumbai attack were educated, proved by their use of Blackberry mobiles. Education may be one of the solutions but definitely it is not "The Solution". Let's just take a simple example, how many of us educated lot have never broken any traffic rule, never given any bribe, never stole(downloading pirated music and movies from internet also qualifies as stealing). We might say such activities are not really "harmful". See Punjab and Haryana, leaders in economic and educational growth, also lead in female foeticide(UN Report: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2859214.cms ).
Also, there is one more reason for not sending Indian team to Pakistan apart from the obvious security issues. Right now, the situation is very tense at the border and God forbid if the Indian team is playing in Pakistan and a war breaks out between the two countries, it would be too difficult to get our players out of there.

Mayank said...

@ hr_musigma:
I am sentimental: Yes but I dont think I analyze situations only by heart. you should have probably pointed out the way harshit did what I exactly did wrong.
Again agreed that I should read a bit more...but then everyone should!

@Harshit: Thanks for being a very good critic. I appreciate your time. Here are some of my replies/comments/clarifications

By education, I meant balanced education. Ofcourse, a lot of Pakistan students receive education in extremist madrasas and the result is in front of us. If you provide, same education to Indians, we will be a terrorist nation too...(and by the way, on a small scale we are...Do not forget that we have had a lot of home grown balsts...like in Malegaon

@ point 3: Ofcourse people who run ISI etc are very educated and thats why they are able to run things in their own interest...the point is people they hire are not...I mentioned this when I said that: an educated rational mind will be able to spot an extreme flaw in logic a difference between self-interest and other's interests..

Point 4 and 5...exactly true...point 5 was infact published in one of the articles in nytimes

@point 6: I am not saying stop schools in India. Secondly, I agree this is not a practical solution right now but in the long run, this is the solution...I reiterate that War is not the solution...By going to war, we will pave the way for more wars and terrorist attacks..

Yes, ofcourse I am not saying that if someone bombs you, the next day you start opening schools in their country...My whole point was mistaken...Pakistan should pay some price, economically or in terms of pressure from international community...but after a period of time, we should rebuild a process of peace...and help our neighbor

I also believe that we somewhere in the process have done something wrong as well which has led this problem to be so big...'taali ek haath se nahin bajti'


@Kalway: We shouldn't go to war..thats my point.

Not all should and will agree...Every argument has a counter-argument.

Harshit Gupta said...

@mayank
"I also believe that we somewhere in the process have done something wrong as well which has led this problem to be so big...'taali ek haath se nahin bajti'"

This is really disappointing. I mean, you are clearly unable to provide a single instance in which India has been 'wrong' in its dealings with Pakistan (otherwise, I believe, you would have surely elaborated on that 'something'), but still you feel that 'we somewhere in the process have done something wrong'.

In other words, 10 Pakistanis come to India and kill 200 indians in cold blood. But still, it is we who 'somewhere in the process must have done something wrong' to deserve this!

I was planning to comment on some of your other remarks but now I feel that it won't make much of a difference anyway.

Mayank said...

Dude, I didn't know you will need specifics...here are the specifics:

a) India has not handed the issue of Kashmir well at all and has been deferring it ever since...Read the article in new york times two days ago on polls in Kashmir... Every one about the barbarism of Indian Army in Kashmir.

b) India has been slow to embrace the Muslim society which is still economically weak...(agreed that is once again a very sensitive issue)...and we are only relatively secular...

A news report in the Dawn said that India captured a lot of Pakistanis in Nepal which are generally framed in terrorist attacks such as this to blame Pakistan...I certainly agree that this is a fart, atleast this time but not always...In a lot of earlier bombings, India claimed that probably Pakistan was involved but later probe revealed that it wasn't.

I love India. It is my motherland..but I am no fanatic. I still agree/believe that we do have our own mistakes/problems to learn from.

Nothing, ofcourse, justifies the terror attacks and I never said that they were. What I said what was: We haven't dealt with the whole political situation correctly and the real problems have never been identified or dealt with.

Harshit Gupta said...

It would be enlightening to know your insights on how

1. India's slow embracing of a certain section of its own citizens, or
2.'alleged' barbarism of indian army in INDIAN governed Kashmir

constitute india's wrongdoings in its "dealings WITH Pakistan"?

I do hope you are able to seperate two very different issues at stake here.

All in good (and idle) spirit.

Abhishek said...

Very nice work with beautiful thoughts

keep on working...
best of luck